General Frequently Asked Questions

What is Seniors Landlords Insurance?

Seniors Landlords Insurance covers you for a wide range of losses or damages incurred while renting out your property. It’s used to cover you for loss or damage due to natural disasters, malicious acts, theft by tenants, as well as certain damage caused by events as listed in the Seniors Home Insurance Product Disclosure Document.

How much does this policy cost?

Your premiums will depend on a variety of factors such as the location and type of property you own, your building and contents sum insured, and basic excess levels chosen.

What’s the difference between Seniors Landlords Insurance and Seniors Home & Contents Insurance?

While home and contents insurance also covers your property for certain expenses, it won’t cover damage incurred while your property is being used for rental purposes. Landlords insurance is designed specifically for rental properties — covering not only natural events, but also malicious acts and theft caused by a tenant.

How do I renew my landlords insurance policy?

If we offer renewal, the policy will automatically renew as per the renewal notice, unless you tell us otherwise. We will send you this renewal notice at least 14 days before your renewal date which will outline what you need to do to stay covered. You should check your renewal notice carefully and contact us on 13 13 43 if you need to make any changes to your policy or details.

With automatic renewal, your renewal notice will set out the proposed new policy terms and premium. If no changes are required to your policy and your premium payments are up to date, you don’t need to do anything – your policy will automatically renew. If you would like to opt out of automatic renewal, please email us at with your name, phone number, date of birth, and policy number.

If you opted out of automatic renewal, your renewal notice will advise you to call to continue your cover. We will provide you with a quote and policy terms. If you’re happy to proceed, we will renew your policy.

How do I lodge a landlords insurance claim?

It’s easy to lodge a landlords insurance claim with Australian Seniors.  You can lodge a claim online.  

Alternatively, you can call our claims team on 13 13 43 and our personal claims agents will help you through the process, step by step.

Can I cancel my policy?

Yes. With Seniors Landlords Insurance, you can cancel your policy by contacting us. If you’ve already paid a yearly premium, we’ll refund the full amount less the amount covering the period you’re insured for and any government or statutory charges we’re unable to recover. You can also cancel your policy for a full refund, less any unrecoverable government or statutory charges, within 14 days of purchasing if you’re not completely satisfied, provided you haven’t made a claim in this time.

How do I pay my premiums?

You can easily pay your premiums by credit card or direct debit from your bank account. You can also set the frequency of premium payments to suit you, be it monthly or annually. Please note, you will pay less by paying annually.

Will this policy cover my property if it is unoccupied?

Yes – Seniors Landlords Insurance will continue to provide cover for your property for up to 90 consecutive days of vacancy. This means your cover will remain in place even if you are in between tenants. However, you must ensure your property is still maintained during this time with regular weekly check-ins and necessary yard work carried out.

You will also need to advise us of any changes in the status of your property as soon as you become aware. 

How often does my property need to be inspected?

We require you to carry out an authorised inspection of your property at least once a year. An inspection will also be required at the commencement of a new rental agreement, or when existing tenants vacate your property. These inspection reports may be required at claim time.

Are there any exclusions under this policy?

As with any insurance product, there are general exclusions not covered by Seniors Landlords Insurance. Refer to the PDS for a full list of exclusions.

What if I have a complaint?

We hope that you never have a reason to complain, but if you do, we will do our best to work with you to resolve it. To make a complaint, visit our complaints page.

I've been contacted about a refund - what do I need to do?

Ensure your contact details and payments details are up to date on your account. ​If details are up to date, your refund will land in your account in the timeframe noted on your notification letter.​

If you have any questions about your refund, call us on 1300 919 583 and we can provide more information or help you update your account details.​

Why do you need payment details from me?​
To refund you, we’ll need a bank account or credit card details to send the money to.​

Where do I update my payment details?​
Log into My Account to update your details, or give us a call on 1300 919 583.

My policy is no longer active — what do I need to do?​
If your policy is no longer active, but you need to update your payment details, please give us a call on 1300 919 583 and our staff will be able to process the refund over the phone. ​

What will happen if I don’t respond to your letter or email about a refund?​
To refund you, we’ll need a bank account or credit card details to send the money to.  We encourage you to contact us so that you can receive your refund.

What can I do if I’m not happy with the refund amount?​
If you’re not happy with the refund amount or have a complaint, please contact us on 1300 919 583.

Request a FREE information pack

Everything you need to know about landlords insurance

Protect your investment plans today

Talk to our friendly team about protecting your rental property today 1300 594 204. We are here 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday. You can also request a call-back at a time that suits you.