Life Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

What does life insurance cover?

Life insurance generally covers you for death or terminal illness.

How do I get life insurance?

It’s very easy to apply for Seniors Term Life Insurance. All you need to do is answer eight questions about your health, tell us how much you want to be covered for, and we’ll do the rest. Get started today.

Read more about the different ways you can apply for life insurance.

Is a life insurance payout tax deductible?

The good news for older Australians is that your life insurance payout will usually be tax free. This is important as it means that any money you or your family receives will be able to be put towards your general expenses or bills. In most cases if a beneficiary of a life insurance policy receives the death benefit, this payout is not counted as taxable income, and they will not have to pay taxes on it. However, it is important to note that premiums are not tax deductible (in most cases). Read more about life insurance and tax considerations.

Who gets my life insurance when I die?

Your life insurance payout will go to your nominated beneficiaries, or your estate if you haven’t nominated anyone to receive the benefit. You can nominate up to five beneficiaries to receive the benefit when you pass away, and they can be relatives or other people you nominate. Download a Nomination of Beneficiaries Form now to get started.

How does term life insurance work?

There is a set period of time that your insurer will cover you for; and this is what is referred to as the term. Term life insurance covers you during this agreed amount of time. During this stage, if you were to pass away or suffer a terminal illness, you or your nominated beneficiaries will be paid a lump sum payment to assist with any bills, whether they are medical bills, a mortgage, funeral costs or other essential payments that are due. Read more about term life insurance.

What is group universal life insurance?

Group universal life insurance is distinguished from typical life insurance cover as it is given to a group of people rather than a single individual. Usually this group has common factors, such as all being employees of a particular employer. Most group universal life insurance policies will include death cover, terminal illness cover, and at an additional cost Total and Permanent Disability cover (TPD). The characteristics of the group determines the pricing and eligibility of the policy. Read more about group life insurance.

Can I switch life insurance companies?

As an older Australian, it is good to know that you have options to suit your personal needs, as your life progresses. If your circumstances or financial position was to change then you may wish to review your cover. It can be a good idea to review your cover details regularly, to make sure your existing policy suits your current situation and needs. It’s also important that you consider factors before cancelling any cover such as waiting periods or condition exclusions, particularly if you are approaching an older age.

Funeral Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

How does Funeral Insurance work?

Funeral insurance is paid in the form of a lump sum benefit your family can use to pay immediate expenses, such as your funeral service or any outstanding debts you may have.

You choose a cover amount to suit you, and pay ongoing premium payments, usually fortnightly or monthly. In the event of a claim, your beneficiary will receive your cover amount.

Is Funeral Insurance Tax deductible

In most cases, funeral insurance premiums are not tax deductible. But there’s generally no tax on the benefits that you or your beneficiaries will receive.

However, it’s always possible that tax laws may change in future. What’s more, this may not apply to your specific situation. So, it’s important to seek qualified professional advice about the tax implications of any insurance product.

Can I buy funeral insurance for my parents?

Yes - As long as your parents are Australian residents under the age of 79 you’re eligible to apply for Seniors Funeral Insurance.

What is ‘Accidental Death’?

An ‘Accidental Death’ is a death occurring as the direct result of an Accident and where death occurs within 90 days of the Accident.

An ‘Accident’ means an event resulting in bodily injury occurring, where the injury is directly and solely caused by accidental, violent, external and visible means without any other contributing causes and where the injury is not self-inflicted.

Car Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Can I choose my own repairer when I make a claim?

If you need to make a claim and your car needs repairs, we’ll choose a repairer located as close as possible to your home or work from our extensive repairer network. When you use one of our approved repairers, the repairs are covered by a guarantee, so long as you remain the registered owner of the vehicle.

If you prefer to choose your own repairer, you can arrange for a quote and send it to us. But please note that we reserve the right to determine and arrange for repairs to be carried out by our preferred repairer.

Can I change my car insurance excess?

You can increase your excess at any time during your car insurance policy. However, you can only decrease your excess when renewing your policy.

Do I qualify for Pay As You Drive cover?

If you are not driving frequently you could qualify for our Pay as You Drive cover and save money on your car insurance. If you are eligible for our Pay As You Drive cover when obtaining a quote, you will be offered that option.

Do you cover learner drivers?

Yes, we do! If you’re a learner, our car insurance policies cover you as long as:

  • You’re accompanied by a fully licensed driver.
  • You have a current Learner Drivers Licence, Learners Permit or the equivalent for the state or territory where you live.
  • Please note there may be additional excesses and exclusions applicable for learner drivers at the time of a claim.

Do you have age restrictions on your car insurance?

To help us offer affordable, fair car insurance premiums for the majority of people, we do have age restrictions on our policies. Generally, we insure drivers up to 99 years of age. However, certain vehicles have higher age minimums.

Home & Contents Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

How can I save on my home and contents insurance?

There are two easy ways to save. First, improve security and safety. Items such as deadlocks and monitored burglar alarms can usually bring discounts. Second, raise your excess. You can choose a basic excess from the levels we offer. The levels we offer for Building are between $200 and $2,500 and for Contents between $200 and $1,000. But remember, while your premiums will be cheaper now, you will have to pay more if you ever have to claim.

How much insurance do I need?

The amount of insurance cover you select is known as your ‘sum insured’. For contents cover, you should choose a sum insured that equals the amount it would cost you to replace your insured contents at today’s prices. For your home cover, you should choose a sum insured that equals the amount it would cost you at today’s prices to clear the site and rebuild your home, including any fences or fixed structures on the site. This is known as your home’s replacement value, and should not be confused with market value, which includes the cost of the land.

What if I want to change my insurance cover?

Contact us if you want to change your cover. Changes could include:

  • changing your address;
  • increasing or decreasing your cover;
  • adding listed items;
  • taking out ‘Portable Valuables’ cover;
  • updating your payment details; or
  • cancelling your policy.

You must also contact us if anything changes which might affect the risk we’re insuring. Changing your cover may affect the premium you need to pay.

What is home and contents insurance?

Home and contents insurance is a common way to guard against financial loss caused by theft or damage to your home and contents. In return for your premium, we may repair or replace your items or pay you a certain sum of money to cover certain losses or damage to your home and contents. The amount we pay for a claim, and the circumstances under which we pay, is subject to the terms and conditions of your contract or policy.

Home and contents insurance also automatically covers your legal liability to pay compensation for death or bodily injury to other parties, or damage to their property. This ‘liability’ cover applies only when you’ve been found negligent and are at fault.

Landlords Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any exclusions under this policy?

As with any insurance product, there are general exclusions not covered by Seniors Landlords Insurance. Refer to the PDS for a full list of exclusions.

Can I cancel my policy?

Yes. With Seniors Landlords Insurance, you can cancel your policy at any time by contacting us. If you’ve already paid a yearly premium, we’ll refund the full amount less the amount covering the period you’re insured for and any government or statutory charges we’re unable to recover. You can also cancel your policy for a full refund, less any unrecoverable government or statutory charges, within 14 days of purchasing if you’re not completely satisfied, provided you haven’t made a claim in this time.

How do I pay my premiums?

You can easily pay your premiums by credit card or direct debit from your bank account. You can also set the frequency of premium payments to suit you, be it monthly or annually. Please note, you will pay less by paying annually.

How much does this policy cost?

Your premiums will depend on a variety of factors such as the location and type of property you own, your building and contents sum insured, and basic excess levels chosen.

How often does my property need to be inspected?

We require you to carry out an authorised inspection of your property at least once a year. An inspection will also be required at the commencement of a new rental agreement, or when existing tenants vacate your property. These inspection reports may be required at claim time.

Pet Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

How old does my pet have to be for insurance?

You can cover your dog or cat as soon as they are eight weeks old. Please note that a maximum age limit also applies to our policies. For our Top or Essential Cover, your pet must be under nine years old to apply. For our Basic Accident & Illness Cover, your pet must be under 16 years old to apply.

Will my pet be covered when it gets older?

Yes. Once you have insurance for your pet, you can keep renewing your policy with us for the rest of its life – as long as we continue to offer the product, and there isn’t a break in your cover, with cover subject to the terms and conditions of your renewal policy.

Will I have to pay an excess?

No. There’s no excess to pay – so depending on your level of cover, you may get back up to 80% of all your eligible vet expenses.

Will my pet be covered for hereditary problems?

Hereditary and congenital conditions will eligible for cover if they have not shown noticeable signs, symptoms or an abnormality at any time before the first policy period or during any applicable waiting period.

Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Am I covered for any claims related to COVID-19?

Your policy contains a general exclusion relating to pandemics. This means there is no cover for cancellation or rearrangement costs due to COVID-19 or for medical-related expenses if you contract COVID-19. The pandemic exclusion applies to all policies regardless of when your policy was purchased or your dates of travel.

If you are overseas and need emergency medical assistance, please contact our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team using the details listed below:

Seniors Emergency Assistance phone: +61 2 8883 7006  

Seniors Emergency Assistance email:

How much excess will I pay when making a claim?

With our international cover options, you can choose between $0, $100, or $200 excess when setting up your policy. For our domestic cover, the excess payable is $50 per claim.

Can I cancel my travel insurance policy with Australian Seniors?

You are free to cancel your policy at any time, however you will only receive a refund if you cancel within the 14-day cooling off period and you have not exercised any rights under the policy.

Will my children or grandchildren be covered under this policy?

Yes – we will automatically cover any dependent children or grandchildren travelling with you at no extra cost, as long as they are under the age of 21 and listed on your policy. Additional terms and conditions in our Product Disclosure Statement may apply.

Does Seniors Travel Insurance cover trip cancellations?

Yes – cancellations are covered for certain events listed in our Product Disclosure Statement. Please note that we will not cover cancellations due to change of mind (such as if you no longer wish to travel or would like to change your destination).

What is the maximum trip duration covered under Seniors Travel Insurance?

Our single trip policies cover journeys up to 12 months long. 

Get cover today and you could save

Call our friendly team to discuss your needs today. You can also get a quote online in minutes and save up to 30% on selected products.