General Frequently Asked Questions

How can I save on my home and contents insurance?

There are two easy ways to save. First, improve security and safety. Items such as deadlocks and monitored burglar alarms can usually bring discounts. Second, raise your excess. The excess is the amount of money you have to pay towards a loss before the insurance kicks in. We offer different levels of excess from $200 to $1,000.

How much does it cost?

Your premium will depend on many factors such as, the value of your home and contents, the security present, the level of cover you require and the Excess you choose. You may receive a 10% discount by combining your Home & Contents cover. In addition if you have a burglar alarm, you are entitled to a discount. These discounts will be automatically included in your insurance quote when you call 13 13 43.

How much insurance do I need?

The amount of insurance cover you select is known as your ‘sum insured’. For contents cover, you should choose a sum insured that equals the amount it would cost you to replace your insured contents at today’s prices. For your home cover, you should choose a sum insured that equals the amount it would cost you at today’s prices to clear the site and rebuild your home, including any fences or fixed structures on the site. This is known as your home’s replacement value, and should not be confused with market value, which includes the cost of the land.

How do I lodge a home and/or contents insurance claim?

It’s easy to lodge a home and/or contents insurance claim with Australian Seniors.  You can lodge a claim online.

Alternatively, you can call our claims team on 13 13 43 and our personal claims agents will help you through the process, step by step.

What if I want to change my insurance cover?

Contact us if you want to change your cover. Changes could include:

  • Changing your address
  • Increasing or decreasing your cover
  • Adding listed items
  • Taking out Portable Valuables Cover
  • Updating your payment details
  • Cancelling your policy, etc.

You must also contact us if anything changes which might affect the risk we are insuring.

What is home and contents insurance?

Home and contents insurance is a common way to guard against financial loss caused by theft or damage to your home and contents. In return for the premium that you pay us (the insurance company), we may repair or replace your items or pay you a certain sum of money to cover certain losses or damage to your home and contents. The amount we pay for a claim, and the circumstances under which we pay, is subject to the terms and conditions of your contract or “policy”.

Home and contents insurance also automatically covers your Legal Liability to pay compensation for death or bodily injury to other parties, or damage to their property. This “liability” cover applies only when you have been found negligent and are at fault.

What should I do if I need to make a claim?

We try to make filing a claim as easy for you as possible. If you follow the instructions below, you will make it easier for us to finalise your claim and assist you quickly.

  • Notify the police or emergency services like fire brigade, immediately of any fire, theft or malicious damage.
  • It’s easy to lodge a Home Insurance claim with Australian Seniors.  You can lodge a claim online. Alternatively, you can call our claims team on 13 13 43 and our personal claims agents will help you through the process, step by step.
  • Prevent additional losses. For example, if your home is burgled, secure any points of entry as soon as possible; if it is damaged by storm, try to seal off any points where water might be able to get in.
  • Ensure that we have approved all permanent repairs before they are carried out.
  • Help our claims department to help you. We may send a loss adjuster to examine the loss or damage. The loss adjuster may need additional information or documents that relate to the claim.
  • Have your receipts or valuations for listed items available for our claims department.

What if I am not happy with the outcome of my claim?

We hope that You never have a complaint, but if You do we will do our best to work with You to resolve it through the following process:

STEP 1: Let us know about your concerns

Get in touch with one of our customer service consultants about your concerns, and they’ll do their best to resolve them.  When you make your complaint please provide as much information as possible. Our aim is to resolve all complaints as soon as possible, however where we can’t resolve your concern immediately we will resolve it within 15 business days.

Call us on 13 13 43 or visit for more options to get in touch.

STEP 2: Escalate Your Complaint to our Internal Dispute Resolution Team

If we haven't responded to your complaint within 15 business days, or if you’re not satisfied with how we’ve tried to resolve it, you can ask for your complaint to be escalated for an Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) review by a Dispute Resolution Specialist.

Post: Australian Seniors Insurance Agency,
Locked Bag 2018, St Leonards NSW 1590


Call: 02 9253 6600 

The Dispute Resolution Specialist will provide in writing our final decision within 15 business days of your complaint being escalated, unless they’ve requested an extension from you and you’ve agreed to give us more time.

STEP 3: Seek an external review of our decision

If you’re not happy with the final decision, or if we’ve taken more than 45 days to respond to you from the date you first made your complaint, you may contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) at: 

Phone: 1800 931 678 

Post: GPO Box 3 Melbourne VIC 3001



The AFCA service is provided to you free of charge. A decision by AFCA is binding on us but is not binding on you. You have the right to seek further legal assistance.

Who needs home and contents insurance?

You can purchase home insurance, contents insurance, or both. Home insurance is designed to cover a particular building, normally the policyholder’s own home. Contents insurance is designed to cover the building’s contents, normally your belongings. If you’re a homeowner, you should consider both home insurance and contents insurance (in fact, you may be contractually obligated to have your home insured if you have a mortgage).

Why should I buy this policy?

Our cover includes a number of standard benefits which may not be included by other insurance companies, or for which they charge extra.

Request a FREE information pack

Everything you need to know about home and contents insurance

Cover your home & contents today

For total cover of the things you’ve worked hardest for, call our friendly team now. We’re here 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm Saturdays on 1300 865 104. You can also request a call-back at a time that suits you.