General Frequently Asked Questions

Can I change my car insurance excess?

You can increase your excess at any time during your car insurance policy. However, you can only decrease your excess when renewing your policy.

Can I choose my own repairer when I make a claim?

Our policies don’t offer a choice of repairer option. An appropriately qualified repairer appointed or approved by us will do the repairs. If you need to make a claim and your car needs repairs, we’ll choose a repairer located as close as possible to your home or work from our extensive repairer network. When you use one of our approved repairers, the repairs are covered by a guarantee, as long as you remain the registered owner of the vehicle.

Do I qualify for Pay As You Drive cover?

If you’re not driving frequently, you could qualify for our Pay as You Drive cover which could save you money on your car insurance. If you’re eligible for our Pay As You Drive cover when obtaining a quote, you’ll be offered that option.

Do you cover learner drivers?

Yes, we do! If you’re a learner, our car insurance policies cover you as long as:

  • you’re accompanied by a fully licensed driver;
  • you have a current Learner Driver’s Licence, Learner’s Permit or the equivalent for the state or territory where you live and comply with the conditions of your licence;
  • you’re not under the influence of any drug, alcohol and/or your blood alcohol isn’t over the legal limit; and
  • you’re not younger than any age restrictions shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

Please note there may be additional excesses and exclusions applicable for learner drivers at the time of a claim.

Do you have age restrictions on your car insurance?

To help us offer cost-effective, fair car insurance premiums for the majority of people, we do have age restrictions on our policies. Generally, we insure licenced drivers up to 99 years of age. However, certain vehicles have higher age minimums which might affect the cost of premium or excess(es) paid.

Do you have any additional excesses for car insurance?

Yes, there are. As well as your basic car insurance excess, at the time of a claim, you may be required to pay

  • an age excess;
  • an inexperienced driver excess;
  • a learner driver excess; and
  • an undeclared young driver excess.

If you have Pay As You Drive car insurance and you make a claim, an outside odometer excess may be applicable if your odometer reading is either below the start odometer or above the end odometer as stated on your Certificate of Insurance.

A special excess may also apply if it’s shown on your Certificate of Insurance and may be based on things such as the car, its use, your driving record, or the insurance history of the drivers of your car.

Do you insure cars used for business purposes?

We don’t insure cars used only for business, although we do cover them if they’re for both private and business use. Some activities may be excluded such as using your car to carry passengers for a fee or reward, as a delivery vehicle, or as a courtesy car. Please see the Product Disclosure Statement for further information.

Do you offer CTP green slips?

No, we don’t offer CTP green slips at Australian Seniors. However we do offer Comprehensive, Pay As You Drive and Third Party Property Damage car insurance.

How can I pay for my car insurance policy?

You can pay by direct debit from a credit card or bank account. We’ll set up an automatic payment schedule for you so you don’t need to do anything when your premium is due – it’s all done for you! If you don’t want to renew your policy, let us know at least two days before your renewal date so we can cancel the deduction from your account.

How can I reduce my car insurance premium?

We’d be happy to help! We have a wide range of insurance options, so you can choose a policy that’s affordable for you. Here are some of the ways you can keep costs down:

  • If you want Comprehensive cover but you drive less than your neighbours, check to see if you qualify for Pay as You Drive cover.
  • Choose a higher excess. The higher your excess, the lower your premium. But remember, while your premiums will be cheaper now, you will have to pay more if you ever have to claim.
  • Consider or review the value of your car on an annual basis, as an incorrect value could cost you more.

How do I lodge a car insurance claim?

It’s easy to lodge a car insurance claim with Australian Seniors.  You can lodge a claim online.

Alternatively, you can call our claims team on 13 13 43 and our personal claims agents will help you through the process, step by step. 

More information on making a claim is included in your Product Disclosure Statement

How do I get Pay As You Drive car insurance?

It’s easy to sign up for Pay as You Drive car insurance. Simply get a quick car insurance quote online to check that you qualify, and discover how much you could save. If you qualify, simply accept the quote, sign up for your policy, and the Pay as You Drive option will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance. 

For more information, check the Australian Seniors Car Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

How do I make a change to my car insurance policy?

You can make changes to your car insurance policy quickly and easily by calling us on 13 13 43. It only takes a few minutes, and there are no administration fees. But remember, depending on the changes you make, the cost of your car insurance premium could change too.

How do I renew my car insurance policy?

If we offer renewal, the policy will automatically renew as per the renewal notice, unless you tell us otherwise. We will send you this renewal notice at least 14 days before your renewal date which will outline what you need to do to stay covered. You should check your renewal notice carefully and contact us on 13 13 43 if you need to make any changes to your policy or details.

With automatic renewal, your renewal notice will set out the proposed new policy terms and premium. If no changes are required to your policy and your premium payments are up to date, you don’t need to do anything – your policy will automatically renew. If you would like to opt out of automatic renewal, please email us at with your name, phone number, date of birth, and policy number.

If you opted out of automatic renewal, your renewal notice will advise you to call to continue your cover. We will provide you with a quote and policy terms. If you’re happy to proceed, we will renew your policy.

I have an older model car. Can I get insurance with you?

Unfortunately not. To keep our car insurance premiums as affordable as possible for the greatest number of people, we only insure cars that were manufactured after 1980.

I have lost my car insurance documents.

If you’ve lost your Certificate of Insurance or Product Disclosure Statement, simply call us on 13 13 43, and we’ll email or post copies of your documents to you. You can also download the Product Disclosure Statement directly from our web site.

I’ve had a car accident. What should I do?


  • Make sure you and your family are safe and your car is secure.
  • Make sure your car is safe and secure so it won’t be damaged further. This may mean having it towed.
  • Call the police if required by the law or your policy.


  • Get as much information as possible from anyone else involved, including names, addresses, phone numbers, registration plate numbers, driver’s licence numbers, makes and models, and insurers. And if you have your phone or a camera handy, it’s a good idea to take some photos of the incident.
  • Have your own driver’s licence details ready.

Do not:

  • admit guilt, fault or liability except to the police;
  • offer or negotiate to pay any claim; or
  • approve any repairs, except essential repairs needed to minimise or prevent further loss or damage to your car.


  • Call 13 13 43, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If you can’t contact us, do everything you can to prevent any further damage, including having your car towed to the nearest safe place.

My lender needs a car insurance certificate.

If your lender needs a copy of your Certificate of Insurance, call us on 13 13 43, and we’ll arrange to email, fax or post a copy to them. Please have your lender’s contact details ready when you call.

What is an ‘agreed value’?

The agreed value of your car is the amount we agree to insure your vehicle for and is included in your current Certificate of Insurance. This amount may change with each renewal and you should check this. The agreed value is valid for the term of your car insurance policy.

What is ‘market value’?

In car insurance, market value is what your car is worth just before an incident that leads to a claim. It depends on things such as the make, model, age, kilometres travelled, and condition of the car. This is determined using industry publications and data sources and doesn’t include any registration costs, stamp duty or transfer fees, or allowances for dealer delivery.

What is car insurance excess?

An excess is the amount you need to contribute towards the cost of repairing your car if you make a claim. To make car insurance premiums more cost-effective for everyone, we include an excess in your policy.

There are different types of excesses, which you or the driver of your car at the time of the claim might need to pay. If your claim is for more than one accident or event, you or the driver will have to pay the excess for each accident or event. You can find the amount of excess you’ll need to pay on your Certificate of Insurance.

What is the Pay As You Drive option?

Pay As You Drive is unique a concept in car insurance. Designed specifically for cars that are driven 15,000km per year or less, it offers all the benefits of Comprehensive insurance, but you only pay for the kilometres you plan to drive. Here's a summary of how it works:

When you buy a Pay As You Drive policy, you nominate the number of kilometres you plan to drive each year (up to 15,000km) and tell us your car’s odometer reading at the start of the policy. We add these together to calculate your End Odometer reading, which will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

We calculate your premium based in part on the number of kilometres you tell us you plan to drive.

At the time of a claim, if your car's odometer reading at the time of the incident is more than your Start Odometer reading and less than the End Odometer reading shown of your Certificate of Insurance, you get the same cover as you would with our Comprehensive insurance. If not, you still have the same cover, except you also pay the Outside Odometer excess ($1000). This is in addition to any other excesses which apply to the claim. In some cases, no excess is payable.

At each renewal, we increase your End Odometer reading by the number of kilometres you told us you planned to drive each year. You can also ask us to adjust your End Odometer reading at any time. However, your end odometer reading cannot be more than 15,000km higher than:

  • your Start Odometer reading (for new policies); or
  • your End Odometer reading immediately before your last renewal (for renewed policies).

To increase your End Odometer reading, give us a call on 13 13 43 during our operating hours.

See our Product Disclosure Statement for more details.

What no-claim discount do you offer on car insurance?

At Australian Seniors, we believe in giving all our customers real savings and real value right from the start. So instead of promising you a no claim bonus sometime in the future, we give you lower-cost insurance from the day you join. 

We work out your premium by considering factors like your age, your location and your insurance history, then give you the best possible deal every time. 

To find out how much you could save, get an online car insurance quote today.

What payment frequencies do you have?

You can pay your car insurance (as well as home and contents insurance) premiums monthly,  or pay less for an annual payment option.

What if I have a complaint?

We hope that you never have a reason to complain, but if you do, we will do our best to work with you to resolve it. To make a complaint, visit our complaints page.

I've been contacted about a refund - what do I need to do?

Ensure your contact details and payments details are up to date on your account. ​If details are up to date, your refund will land in your account in the timeframe noted on your notification letter.​

If you have any questions about your refund, call us on 1300 919 583 and we can provide more information or help you update your account details.​

Why do you need payment details from me?​
To refund you, we’ll need a bank account or credit card details to send the money to.​

Where do I update my payment details?​
Log into My Account to update your details, or give us a call on 1300 919 583.

My policy is no longer active — what do I need to do?​
If your policy is no longer active, but you need to update your payment details, please give us a call on 1300 919 583 and our staff will be able to process the refund over the phone. ​

What will happen if I don’t respond to your letter or email about a refund?​
To refund you, we’ll need a bank account or credit card details to send the money to.  We encourage you to contact us so that you can receive your refund.

What can I do if I’m not happy with the refund amount?​
If you’re not happy with the refund amount or have a complaint, please contact us on 1300 919 583.

Request a FREE information pack

Everything you need to know about car insurance

Drive with confidence today

For ultimate peace of mind on the road, talk to our friendly team today on 1300 760 157. We are here 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday. You can also request a call-back at a time that suits you.