Home Insurance FAQs

1. How can I save on my home and contents insurance?

There are two easy ways to save. First, improve security and safety. Items such as deadlocks and monitored burglar alarms can usually bring discounts. Second, raise your excess. The excess is the amount of money you have to pay towards a loss before the insurance kicks in. We offer different levels of excess from $0, to $1000. The higher the excess the lower the cost of your insurance.

Back to top
2. How much does it cost?

Your premium will depend on many factors such as, the value of your home and contents, the security present, the level of cover you require and the Excess you choose. You may receive a 10% discount by combining your Home & Contents cover. In addition if you have a burglar alarm, you are entitled to a discount. These discounts will be automatically included in your insurance quote when you call 1800 003 818.

Back to top
3. How much insurance do I need?

The amount of insurance cover you select is known as your ‘sum insured’. For contents cover, you should choose a sum insured that equals the amount it would cost you to replace your insured contents at today’s prices. For your home cover, you should choose a sum insured that equals the amount it would cost you at today’s prices to clear the site and rebuild your home, including any fences or fixed structures on the site. This is known as your home’s replacement value, and should not be confused with market value, which includes the cost of the land.

Back to top
4. What if I want to change my insurance cover?

Contact us if you want to change your cover. Changes could include:

  • Changing your address

  • Increasing or decreasing your cover

  • Adding listed items

  • Taking out Personal Property Australia Wide

  • Updating your payment details

  • Cancelling your policy, etc.

You must also contact us if anything changes which might affect the risk we are insuring.

Back to top
5. What is home and contents insurance?

Home and contents insurance is a common way to guard against financial loss caused by theft or damage to your home and contents. In return for the premium that you pay us (the insurance company), we may repair or replace your items or pay you a certain sum of money to cover certain losses or damage to your home and contents. The amount we pay for a claim, and the circumstances under which we pay, is subject to the terms and conditions of your contract or “policy”.

Home and contents insurance also automatically covers your Legal Liability to pay compensation for death or bodily injury to other parties, or damage to their property. This “liability” cover applies only when you have been found negligent and are at fault.

Back to top
6. What should I do if I need to make a claim?

We try to make filing a claim as easy for you as possible. If you follow the instructions below, you will make it easier for us to finalise your claim and assist you quickly.

  • Notify the police or emergency services like Fire Brigade, immediately of any fire, theft or malicious damage.
  • Notify us as soon as possible on 13 13 43.
  • Prevent additional losses. For example, if your home is burgled, secure any points of entry as soon as possible; if it is damaged by storm, try to seal off any points where water might be able to get in.
  • Ensure that we have approved all permanent repairs before they are carried out.
  • Help our claims department to help you. We may send a loss adjuster to examine the loss or damage. The loss adjuster may need additional information or documents that relate to the claim.
  • Have your receipts or valuations for listed items available for our claims department.
Back to top
7. What if I am not happy with the outcome of my claim?

We hope that You never have a complaint, but if You do we will do our best to work with You to resolve it through the following process:


Please speak to one of our Customer Support team on 13 13 43 who will try to resolve your complaint straight away.


If required, ask to speak to a Customer Care Manager to further discuss Your concerns.


If You are still not satisfied and Your complaint is not yet resolved, You can contact our Internal Dispute Resolution Committee at:

Mail – Australian Seniors Insurance Agency, Locked Bag 2010 St Leonards NSW 1590

Email – resolution@hollard.com.au

Phone – 02 9253 6600

Your concerns will be investigated by an officer with full authority to deal with the complaint and we will inform You of the outcome within 15 working days of receiving your complaint.


In the unlikely event that Your concerns are not resolved to Your satisfaction by the Internal Dispute Resolution Committee, or Your complaint has not been resolved within 45 days, You may contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). You can contact AFCA at:

Mail – GPO Box 3, Melbourne VIC 3001

Email – info@afca.org.au

Phone – 1800 931 678

Website – afca.org.au

A decision by AFCA is binding on us (up to specified jurisdiction limits) but is not binding on You. You have the right to seek further legal assistance. The AFCA service is provided to You free of charge.

Back to top
8. Who needs home and contents insurance?

You can purchase home insurance, contents insurance, or both. Home insurance is designed to cover a particular building, normally the policyholder’s own home. Contents insurance is designed to cover the building’s contents, normally your belongings. If you’re a homeowner, you should consider both home insurance and contents insurance (in fact, you may be contractually obligated to have your home insured if you have a mortgage).

Back to top
9. Why should I buy this policy?

Our cover includes a number of standard benefits which may not be included by other insurance companies, or for which they charge extra.

Back to top