Car Insurance FAQs

1. Can I change my car insurance excess?

You can increase your excess at any time during your car insurance policy. However, you can only decrease your excess when renewing your policy.

Back to top
2. Can I choose my own repairer when I make a claim?

If you need to make a claim and your car needs repairs, we’ll choose a repairer located as close as possible to your home or work from our extensive network. When you use one of our approved repairers, the repairs are covered by a guarantee.

If you prefer to choose your own repairer, you can arrange for a quote and send it to us. But please note that we reserve the right to determine and arrange for repairs to be carried out by our preferred repairer.

Back to top
3. Do I qualify for Pay As You Drive cover?

If you are not driving frequently you could qualify for our Pay as You Drive cover and save money on your car insurance. If you are eligible for our Pay As You Drive cover when obtaining a quote, you will be offered that option.

Back to top
4. Do you cover learner drivers?

Yes, we do! If you’re a learner, our car insurance policies cover you as long as:

  • You’re accompanied by a fully licensed driver

  • You have a current Learner Drivers Licence, Learners Permit or the equivalent for the state or territory where you live.

Back to top
5. Do you have age restrictions on your car insurance?

To help us offer affordable, fair car insurance premiums for the majority of people, we do have age restrictions on our policies. Generally, we insure drivers up to 99 years of age. However, certain vehicles have higher age minimums.

Back to top
6. Do you have any additional excesses for car insurance?

Yes, there are. As well as your basic car insurance excess, we may charge you:

  • Age excess.
  • Inexperienced driver excess
  • Learner driver excess
  • Undeclared young driver excess.

If you have Pay As You Drive car insurance and you make a claim an Outside odometer excess may be applicable if your odometer is below the start odometer or above the end odometer as stated on your Certificate of Insurance.

If you have any questions about excesses and your Australian Seniors car insurance policy, please call us on 13 13 43 or check your Australian Seniors Car Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

Back to top
7. Do you insure cars used for business purposes?

We don’t insure cars used only for business, although we do cover them if they are for both private and business use. But there are still some exclusions:

  • Carrying or moving goods for reward (such as couriers or pizza deliveries)

  • Hiring out the vehicle

  • Professional driving instruction

  • Vehicle racing (including rallies and speed contests)

  • Taxis

  • Tow vehicles

  • Caravans and trailers

  • Funeral vehicles

  • Any vehicle weighing over two tonnes

Please call us on 13 13 43 to ask whether we can cover your car.

Back to top
8. Do you offer CTP green slips?

No, we don’t offer CTP green slips at Australian Seniors. However we do offer Comprehensive, Pay As You Drive and Third Party Property Damage car insurance.

Back to top
9. How can I pay for my car insurance policy?

You can pay by direct debit from a credit card or bank account. We’ll set up an automatic payment schedule for you so you don’t need to do anything when your premium is due – it’s all done for you!

Back to top
10. How can I reduce my car insurance premium?

We’d be happy to help! We have a wide range of insurance options, so you can choose a policy that’s affordable for you. Here are some of the ways you can keep costs down:

  • If you want Comprehensive cover but you drive less than your neighbours, check to see if you qualify for Pay as You Drive cover.

  • Choose a higher excess. The higher your excess, the lower your premium. But remember, while your premiums will be cheaper now, you will have to pay more if you ever have to claim.

  • Consider or review the value of your car on an annual basis, as an incorrect value could cost you more.

Back to top
11. How do I get Pay As You Drive car insurance?

It’s easy to sign up for Pay as You Drive car insurance. Simply get a quick car insurance quote online to check that you qualify, and discover how much you could save. If you qualify, simply accept the quote, sign up for your policy, and the Pay as You Drive option will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

For more information, check the Australian Seniors Car Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

Back to top
12. How do I lodge a car insurance claim?

It’s easy to lodge a car insurance claim with Australian Seniors. Just call 13 13 43 and our personal claims agents will help you through the process, step by step.

Back to top
13. How do I make a change to my car insurance policy?

You can make changes to your car insurance policy quickly and easily by calling us on 13 13 43. It only takes a few minutes, and there are no administration fees. But remember, depending on the changes you make, the cost of your car insurance premium could change too.

Back to top
14. How do I renew my car insurance policy?

Our no-fuss automatic renewals make renewing your car insurance easy. Simply check that the details on your renewal documents are correct. Then sit back and relax while we automatically renew your car insurance policy. Or if you need to make a change, just call us on 13 13 43.

Next, you’ll need to pay your premium. You can pay by:

  • Direct debit: if you already pay by direct debit from a bank account or credit card, we’ll simply debit your account on the date set out in your car insurance renewal documents.

  • Cheque: if you pay by cheque, please make sure you send us a cheque by the renewal date.

Back to top
15. I have an older model car. Can I get insurance with you?

Unfortunately not. To keep our car insurance premiums as affordable as possible for the greatest number of people, we only insure cars that were manufactured after 1980.

Back to top
16. I have lost my car insurance documents.

If you’ve lost your car insurance certificate or Product Disclosure Statement, simply call us on 13 13 43, and we’ll email, fax or post copies of your documents to you. You can also download the Product Disclosure Statement directly from our web site.

Back to top
17. I’ve had a car accident. What should I do?

Step 1

  • Make sure you and your family are safe and your car is secure.
  • Call the police if required by the law or your policy.

Step 2

  • Get as much information as possible from anyone else involved, including names, addresses, phone numbers, registration plate numbers, makes and models, and insurers. And if you have your phone or a camera handy, it’s a good idea to take some photos of the incident.
  • Have your own licence details ready.

Step 3

  • Call 13 13 43, 24 hours a day, seven days a week

If you can’t contact us, do everything you can to prevent any further damage, including having your car towed to the nearest safe place.

Back to top
18. My lender needs a car insurance certificate.

If your lender needs a copy of your car insurance certificate, call us on 13 13 43, and we’ll arrange to email, fax or post a copy to them. Please have your lender’s contact details ready when you call.

Back to top
19. What is an ‘agreed value’?

The agreed value of your car is the amount we agree to insure your vehicle for. The agreed value is valid for the term of your car insurance policy.

Back to top
20. What is car insurance excess?

An excess is the amount you need to contribute towards the cost of repairing your car if you make a claim. To make car insurance premiums more affordable for everyone, we include an excess in your policy. Then, when you make a claim, you’ll need to pay the excess.

There are different types of excesses, which you or the driver of your car at the time of the claim might need to pay. If your claim is for more than one accident or event, you or the driver will have to pay the excess for each accident or event. You can find the amount of excess you’ll need to pay on your Certificate of Insurance.

Back to top
21. What is ‘market value’?

In car insurance, market value is what your car is worth just before an incident that leads to a claim. It depends on things such as the make, age and condition of the car.

Back to top
22. What is the Pay As You Drive option?

Pay As You Drive is a unique concept in car insurance that offers all the benefits of Comprehensive insurance for a reduced cost. Available exclusively to people who don’t drive that much, Pay As You Drive helps you save, because you only pay for the kilometres you plan to drive.

If you qualify, you can apply for the Pay As You Drive option as part of a Comprehensive car insurance policy. You’ll also need to nominate the number of kilometres you plan to drive in the year ahead, and provide your car’s ‘start’ odometer reading. We will then calculate your end odometer reading.

If you are coming close to and/or think you will go over your end odometer reading, please call us on 13 13 43 to apply to increase your end odometer. There will be an additional premium that will apply when increasing your end odometer reading.

If you have an accident and make a claim, and you’re above the end odometer reading shown on your Certificate of Insurance, then you‘ll need to pay the basic excess, an Outside odometer excess and any other applicable excesses at the time of a claim.

Back to top
23. What no-claim discount do you offer on car insurance?

At Australian Seniors, we believe in giving all our customers real savings and real value right from the start. So instead of promising you a no claim bonus sometime in the future, we give you lower-cost insurance from the day you join.

We work out your premium by considering factors like your age, your location and your insurance history, then give you the best possible deal every time.

To find out how much you could save, get an online car insurance quote today.

Back to top
24. What payment frequencies do you have?

You can pay your car insurance (as well as home and contents insurance) premiums monthly,  or pay less for an annual payment option.

Back to top
25. What if I have a complaint?

We hope that You never have a complaint, but if You do we will do our best to work with You to resolve it through the following process:

Step 1

Please speak to one of our Customer Care Specialists on 13 13 43 who will try to resolve Your complaint straight away.

Step 2: Talk to the manager

If required, ask to speak to a Customer Care Manager to further discuss Your concerns.

Step 3: Contact our Internal Dispute Resolution Committee

If You are still not satisfied and Your complaint is not yet resolved, You can contact our Internal Dispute Resolution Committee at:

  • Mail – Australian Seniors Insurance Agency, Locked Bag 2010 St Leonards NSW 1590
  • Email –
  • Phone – 02 9253 6600

Your concerns will be investigated by an officer with full authority to deal with the complaint and we will inform You of the outcome within 15 working days of receiving your complaint.

Step 4: Where we have not resolved Your complaint

In the unlikely event that Your concerns are not resolved to Your satisfaction by the Internal Dispute Resolution Committee, or Your complaint has not been resolved within 45 days, You may contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). You can contact AFCA at:

A decision by AFCA is binding on us (up to specified jurisdiction limits) but is not binding on You. You have the right to seek further legal assistance. The AFCA service is provided to You free of charge.

Back to top