Frequently Asked Questions
- What is home and contents insurance?
- Who needs home and contents insurance?
- How much insurance do I need?
- How much does it cost?
- Why should I buy this policy?
- What should I do if I need to make a claim?
- What if I am not happy with the outcome of my claim?
- What if I want to change my insurance cover?
- How can I save on my home and contents insurance?
Home and contents insurance is a common way to guard against financial loss caused by theft or damage to your home and contents. In return for the premium that you pay us (the insurance company), we may repair or replace your items or pay you a certain sum of money to cover certain losses or damage to your home and contents. The amount we pay for a claim, and the circumstances under which we pay, is subject to the terms and conditions of your contract or "policy".
Home and contents insurance also automatically covers your Legal Liability to pay compensation for death or bodily injury to other parties, or damage to their property. This "liability" cover applies only when you have been found negligent and are at fault.Return to Top
You can purchase home insurance, contents insurance, or both. Home insurance is designed to cover a particular building, normally the policyholder's own home. Contents insurance is designed to cover the building's contents, normally your belongings. If you're a homeowner, you should consider both home insurance and contents insurance (in fact, you may be contractually obligated to have your home insured if you have a mortgage).Return to Top
The amount of insurance cover you select is known as your "sum insured". For contents cover, you should choose a sum insured that equals the amount it would cost you to replace your insured contents at today's prices. For your home cover, you should choose a sum insured that equals the amount it would cost you at today's prices to clear the site and rebuild your home, including any fences or fixed structures on the site. This is known as your home's replacement value, and should not be confused with market value, which includes the cost of the land.Return to Top
Your premium will depend on many factors such as, the value of your home and contents, the security present, the level of cover you require and the Excess you choose. You may receive a 10% discount by combining your Home & Contents cover. In addition if you have a burglar alarm, you are entitled to a discount. These discounts will be automatically included in your insurance quote when you call 1800 003 818.Return to Top
Our cover includes a number of standard benefits which may not be included by other insurance companies, or for which they charge extra. For example, no fees for monthly payments.Return to Top
We try to make filing a claim as easy for you as possible. If you follow the instructions below, you will make it easier for us to finalise your claim and assist you quickly.
- Notify the police immediately of any theft or malicious damage.
- Notify us as soon as possible on 1800 003 818.
- Prevent additional losses. If your home is burgled, secure any points of entry as soon as possible. If it is damaged by fire, or storm, try to seal off any points where water might be able to get in.
- Ensure that we have approved all permanent repairs before they are carried out.
- Help our claims department to help you. We may send a loss adjuster to examine the loss or damage. The loss adjuster may need additional information or documents that relate to the claim.
- Have your receipts or valuations for listed items available for our claims department.Return to Top
If you have a problem or dispute with our treatment of your claim, you can request to have the matter reviewed by our internal dispute resolution committee (IDR).Return to Top
Contact us if you want to change your cover. Changes could include:
- Changing your address
- Increasing or decreasing your cover
- Adding listed items
- Taking out Personal Property Australia Wide
- Updating your payment details
- Cancelling your policy, etc.
You must also contact us if anything changes which might affect the risk we are insuring.Return to Top
There are two easy ways to save. First, improve security and safety. Items such as deadlocks and monitored burglar alarms can usually bring discounts. Second, raise your excess. The excess is the amount of money you have to pay towards a loss before the insurance kicks in. We offer different levels of excess from $0, to $1000. The higher the excess the lower the cost of your insurance.Return to Top
Or call for a free quote on 1800 003 818
Australian Seniors™ Home & Contents Insurance provides real savings and benefits
- Discounts of up to 40%.
- Monthly premiums - no extra cost.
- Choose an excess to suit your needs and reduce your premiums.
- Choose different excesses for your home and for contents.
- Real people on the end of the phone, offering real service.
- 14 day cooling off period.
- Please read our PDS for details of each benefit.
Australian Seniors Insurance Agency™ is underwritten by Real Insurance, to view our Product Disclosure Statements, click the links below.
Or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org